Thursday, October 24, 2013

Hayleigh: She Speaks!

A 10 second message from Hayleigh......



""Hi I'm Hayleigh and because you prayed I'm here.  Thank you for your prayers.  Bye!"

Hayleigh came off the ventilator on Monday.

Monday night she asked me to get in bed with her and sleep there.  So sweet....but I didn't want to rip out any of her medicine lines so I held her hand and slept in a chair by her bed.

On Tuesday October 22 we had our entire family together for the first time since Monday night September 30.  Actually, this is the first picture of all of us together since Isaiah was still in Rachel's womb on September 30!


Does Rachel look great or what?  I am the luckiest man in the world for sure....

Before the family arrived, the medical team put Hayleigh on this mask called a CPAP because it  opens the lungs better.  She wore the mask throughout Tuesday.  On Wednesday and Thursday she wore canulas through the day and CPAP at night.

When she saw Isaiah she reached for him....and then they both fell asleep (she was still on quite a bit of meds during our visit so she was sleepy off and on over the 4 hours everyone was there)

Her friends at school made a beautiful book that we read to her (along with many cards).

The book is a series of pictures with her classmates spelling out in sign language, "We Love You Hayleigh"  Such a good group of kids....

AJ loving on his sister...

After the kids left she sent her first email (me typing, her whispering her message) to her friends in her class.  That night she asked about how far along they had progressed in math and Spanish and wondered what was her topic for the 5 page report that is due soon.

The doctors were very impressed she remembered these kinds of things.  I kept quiet realizing the miracle of my daughter actually talking about homework (that is my lame attempt at a joke).  The response back from her teacher was perfect the next morning "Your assignment is to get better, so much better that you can leave that hospital, come home and come to school.  We will figure out how to catch you up on other assignments when you have completed this first, most, most important assignment."

Wednesday was her first day getting out of bed (not pictured).  She coughed a lot on Wednesday (which is good as she needs to clear her lungs).  She took her first sip of water but was still showing some signs of withdrawal so the medical team really just paused everything to give her a day of rest.

She asked me what had happened as the last thing she remembered was the helicopter ride to the hospital in Maine and a few details of our time together in Bangor.  So, I walked her slowly through everything that had happened including her near death and being put on ECMO.  She joked "Well, now that I've been on ECMO twice maybe I should get my own machine and have it handy 'just in case'  I could become someone who runs ECMO and show others there is no need to be afraid!"  I also read her a TON of cards on Wednesday.  I call her bag of cards her 'fan mail'....and she blushes when I say that so I say it a lot.

Thursday (today) was what everyone is referring to as the "Hayleigh Spa Day"   She started the day with a hair wash and conditioning.  Then she moved to this chair.  I sat in the chair next to her and she totally ignored me (as teenage daughters are proned to do) for about 4 hours while reading teeny bopper magazines and listening to her ipod.   I actually felt joy in being ignored this way as it meant I definitely had my daughter back!!! ;)

The pink blanket is a prayer blanket from a church in Frisco, Texas.  They prayed for her and tied knots in the strands around the edges as they prayed.

Hayleigh's new friend Megan came in and painted her nails pink.  They had a great time talking girly stuff as Megan is just out of college and still 'cool' to a 14 year old girl.

Thursday afternoon she got her first real PT / Rehab session.  She had just fallen asleep when the physical therapist, Liza, walked in.  I had told her earlier in the day that she couldn't leave the hospital until she got off all her meds and was strong enough to walk.  So, when she realized who Liza was she woke up and frankly amazed everyone with her work effort.


After PT, it was back to ignoring dad and using the surgical light above the bed as a reading light for her teenager magazines.

Finally, she had her first solid food today (pudding) as well as a small can of Ginger Ale.  She is making GREAT strides.

Today was a GREAT day.  From Psalm 9: 1-2....

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart;
    I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;
    I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.

God bless,

Andrew



Next Post:  http://tsfga.blogspot.com/2013/10/hayleigh-she-walks.html

Shoes for Kenya Kids:

Bone Marrow Registry:

24 comments:

  1. What a great post! Fabulous pictures of an amazing young lady. We will continue to pray, Miss Hayleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome to see her really making progress! We'll continue praying for her full and rapid recovery! (as well as a break for all of you,... maybe you could go on a trip!?!?!?!) LOL Bless you all!!!
    Steve Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, thanks for the laugh Re: 'going on a trip' Home will be good for a long while!

      Delete
  3. So happy to read about your miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such Great News... Way to Go Hayleigh,,, Prayers are continuing for you and your family. What a testimony your family has of Gods work in your lives. Take Care, do what the Medical Team says. Mr. and Mrs. Standley (Jasons' parents)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of you Hayleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so very happy for you Hayleigh. Your message was as beautiful as your smile. We will continue to pray for you as you grow stronger each day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Hayleigh Go!

    Sadler, Elli, Mary Austin, Ryn, Lauri and Scott send our best wishes and prayers for your continued amazing recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Welcome back", Hayleigh! When I enlarged a couple pictures, I can see your colorful ear mold and that you have on a pair of tube twists! I look forward to getting a couple more pair of Hayleigh's Cherished Charms myself! And the black glasses may look classy, but I remember the ones with daises that you had when I first met you! I bet you've gotten so many cards that the hospital mail room people know you! My friends from 2 churches here in Birmingham continue to pray for you - and for your family! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know why but I couldn't hear the sound on the video but it was so lovely to see her up and talking and doing 'normal' things like reading magazines! Very emotional!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hayleigh! Mindy and I have followed your daring exploits across Europe and then the wilderness of Maine, and your close brush with heaven. So glad you are getting better -- the Lord surely has a lot still in store for you! Love, Rob and Mindy Moritz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hayleigh, you are amazing, loved and an inspiration. As is the whole family. Love from Berlin. Love, Paula, Steve, Tillman, Sebastian and Dante

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praise our Awesome Father. What a blessing and encouraging posting :-) Andrew you are such a loving good father, like Jesus, to your family. This brought tears my eyes. My girl's did not have a daddy, but brothers like you are examples and blessings in the church. Keep up the great work! I also agree with you that Rachel loojs great! You have a beautiful family. Stay strong and know many care for you! This alone is so encouraging and a great blessing how we are a family for Christ to help (serve) one another. Please let us know if your family needs us. God bless you all! My hubby Bill has also been praying diligently and sends his love as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeff and Jill ChurchillOctober 25, 2013 at 6:26 AM

    Jeff and I are so excited to hear about Hayleigh's amazing progress! The video and pictures are great. Bangor Maine continues to pray for Hayleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How good our God is! Thank you for posting updates on Hayleigh and your children. I am overwhelmed by the love of God in Christ as shown through your family. I am a friend of Netagene Kirkpatrick through the Hearing Loss Association of America where I work. Though I did not meet Hayleigh in person, I feel like I know her through Netagene. I admire Hayleigh's craftsmanship and creativity in the beautiful and fun charms she makes for hearing aids and cochlear implants. May the Lord return to you a hundred fold the blessings that you have shared with others. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great news and great post! The pictures and journal are awesome and it really lets us all share in what you are all going through and in what God is doing in your lives. I am at Barnes and Noble as I read this, so I'm trying not to cry in public. We will keep praying for continued progress. And I have to agree Andrew, Rachel does look great! I can't believe she just went through all she did and had a baby and looks wonderful and smiling!
    Hayleigh, you are one strong girl! We look forward to having you back at youth group!
    Love from the Henry's :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing testimony and miracle. It was wonderful to actually be able to hear Hayleigh's voice on the video and see her realize what it takes to get out of the hospital. She is a very strong girl and a fighter. I know she will continue to make huge strides to getting better. I am sending you love and prayers from CA! I know your family will be together again really soon outside of the hospital. Take care, Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful family! I rejoice with you all! Hayleigh is a sweetheart! The Lord continue to bless her, keep her, and continue to make His face shine upon her (and the whole family)!

    The light of the Lord Jesus certainly reflects in the faces of the Scott family!

    God bless you richly,

    Chuck and Kim Mavrogeorge

    ReplyDelete
  18. So happy to see how God is working in Hayleigh and your lives! She is quite the fighter! Hannah and I will continue to pray for her complete healing and release from the hospital soon! We are so glad to hear of all the good news- even if they may be baby steps!

    Liz and Hannah Rethman

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Prayer is the power that moves The Hand that moves The Universe." (author unknown)

    Love and continued prayers to The GREAT PHYSICIAN for the Scott family!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So thankful!!! Praise Yahweh! This is wonderful, wonderful news! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful young lady,
    full of life
    given once and again
    restored,
    We celebrate the story
    written eons ago
    for you
    by your heavenly Dad.
    What a story of care and love and grace it is.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful post! Hayleigh is an amazing young lady with an amazing family. So happy that she is recovering so well!!! xo The DeJoie Family

    ReplyDelete
  23. Catching up! Wonderful news! Still praying!
    Tricia Call

    ReplyDelete

Comments are part of what makes the blog special so please leave one! If you are unable to then email me and will post for you.